Pomeranians and Golden Retrievers are both lovable and friendly breeds but, do they get along?
Pomeranians and Golden Retrievers can get along well since they both are smart, friendly, and not aggressive. The large size difference between the two breeds is a concern for accidental accidents that can have tragic effects.
- How Do You Determine If A Pomeranian Will Get Along With A Golden Retriever
- Is Your Pomeranian Or Golden Retriever Possessive
- Are Both Dogs Intelligent
- Are Both Dogs Easy To Train
- Are The Dogs Energy Levels Similar
- Are Both Dogs Similar In Strength
- Are Both Dogs Socialized And Friendly
- Does Either Dog Have A Strong Prey Drive
- What Is The Size Difference Between The Dogs
- What Is The Gender Of Each Dog
- Do Pomeranians And Golden Retrievers Personalities Compare
- Compatibility of Pomeranians And Golden Retrievers
- Are Golden Retrievers Good With Pomeranians
- Can You Have A Pomeranian And A Golden Retriever
- How Do You Introduce A Pomeranian To A Golden Retriever
- Are Pomeranians And Golden Retrievers Ever Bred Together
- Final Thoughts
- Other Articles You May Enjoy!
How Do You Determine If A Pomeranian Will Get Along With A Golden Retriever
There are many different things that we need to look at to see if Pomeranians can get along with Golden Retrievers.
- Training Ability
- Energy Level
- Prey Drive
- Size Difference
Since Pomeranians are such small dogs, we must make sure that any dog they encounter does not have aggressive tendencies.
Even a small act of aggression is often fatal for a Pomeranian.
Some signs of aggression include.
- Hard Standing Up
- Showing Teeth
- Firm Stance
I suggest never introducing any dog to a Pomeranian that has shown any possible sign of aggression.
Is Your Pomeranian Or Golden Retriever Possessive
Signs of possessiveness can lead to a possible situation of “Possessive Aggression”.
Some of the common signs of possessiveness include.
- Snapping or growling when someone else goes near their toys, bed, or food
- Snapping or growling when someone goes near their favorite person
May dogs show some sort of territorial or possessive behavior, the severity can range from very mild to being very dangerous for those around the dog in certain situations.
Any dog that has possessive tendencies should not be introduced to a new dog.
Are Both Dogs Intelligent
Studies have proven that a dog’s level of intelligence is directly related to its behavior.
A highly intelligent dog is able to understand and react better in situations as well as being able to understand and retain a higher level of training.
Are Both Dogs Easy To Train
Some dog breeds are notorious for being difficult to train whereas others a very easy and catch on quick.
If you are going to have two very different dog breeds living or having contact with each other it’s best if they are easy to train and are trained well.
Are The Dogs Energy Levels Similar
There is a vast difference between energy levels in some dog breeds.
You can have a Border Collie with tons of energy to burn and a St. Bernard that has very little.
It’s best if both dog breeds have a comparable level of energy.
Are Both Dogs Similar In Strength
Most dogs enjoy the company of each other as well as playing with each other.
If you have one dog that is much stronger than the other, you are at risk of the weaker or smaller dog getting injured.
Are Both Dogs Socialized And Friendly
If a dog isn’t friendly or well-socialized it can be a recipe for disaster.
I would not introduce any dogs that don’t have a friendly personality or that have been properly socialized.
Does Either Dog Have A Strong Prey Drive
Some dogs have a naturally strong prey drive due, to a history of hunting and working.
If a dog has a strong prey drive it will never be a good match for a Pomeranian.
Pomeranians are small and fluffy making them extremely vulnerable to injury or worse.
What Is The Size Difference Between The Dogs
The size of your two dogs matters.
Dogs that are of similar size will always be a better match compared to dogs that vary drastically in size.
What Is The Gender Of Each Dog
The gender of each dog also matters.
It has been found that introducing a young dog that is the opposite gender has the best results.
The younger dog, with different gender, is less likely to spark fears and aggression over being the alpha.
Do Pomeranians And Golden Retrievers Personalities Compare
Pomeranians have big personalities inside of tiny little bodies.
They often think that they are much bigger than they actually are which can lead to trouble.
Even with all that sass, Pomeranians are very friendly and enjoy nothing more than being by your side.
Golden Retrievers are also very friendly dogs that are often very patient and kind.
Compatibility of Pomeranians And Golden Retrievers
Let’s compare the breed characteristics of Pomeranains and Golden Retrievers.
|Height||6-12 inches||20-24 Inches|
|Weight||3-7 pounds||55-80 pounds|
|Intelligence||Very Smart||Very Smart|
|Ease Of Training||Can Be Hard To Train||Easy To Train|
|Friendliness||Very Friendly||Very Friendly|
Are Golden Retrievers Good With Pomeranians
As far as temperament and personalities go Golden Retrievers are a good match with Pomeranians.
The biggest concern is the massive size difference.
A small Pomeranian could easily get injured by an overexcited Golden Retriever.
Can You Have A Pomeranian And A Golden Retriever
You can have a Pomeranian and a Golden Retriever but, not all dogs will be compatible.
It is a bit risky and will require lots of patience and training for these dogs to live together in peace and harmony.
How Do You Introduce A Pomeranian To A Golden Retriever
Introducing two dogs can be stressful, it’s best to follow some simple guidelines and end the introduction at any sign that things are going well.
- Keep each dog’s belongings like their beds, crates, toys, and food dishes separate.
- Keep the two dogs separate when you are not able to watch them.
- Have the dogs on a leash when they are first introduced.
- It’s best to introduce the dogs in neutral territory before bringing them together in your home.
- When entering the existing dog’s territory (home) have the human enter first, followed by the first dog, then the new dog enters last.
- Don’t force the meeting between the dogs, let them take it at their own pace.
- Let the new dog get familiar with its surroundings before you introduce the existing dog in the home.
Are Pomeranians And Golden Retrievers Ever Bred Together
It may sound crazy but, Pomeranians and Golden Retrievers have been bred together.
It can be hard bringing a new dog into the house, especially when it is a completely different breed than your original dog.
Pomeranains and Golden Retrievers are a good fit but, there are still many things to be aware of and concerned with.
It’s best to be extremely cautious when considering having two dogs of different breeds.