Every dog owner has experianced a time when their dog has run away. It’s an extremely scary situation and can cause a lot of fear and concern about preventing it from happening again.
Pomeranians run away for a variety of reasons including fear of loud noises and uncomfortable situations. Making sure that you secure all outlets of escape and train your dog to respond to commands can help prevent a run away dog.
- Do Pomeranians Like To Run Away
- Do Pomeranians Come Back If They Run Away
- 5 Reasons Why Pomeranians Run Away
- How Far Will A Pomeranian Run Away From Home
- How To Prevent Your Pomeranian From Running Away
- What To Do When Your Pomeranian Runs Away
- Are Some Dog Breeds More Likely To Run Away
- 12 Dog Breeds That Like To Run Away
- Final Thoughts
- Other Articles You May Enjoy!
Do Pomeranians Like To Run Away
I wouldn’t say Pomeranians like to run away but, they may enjoy the moment if they are running away due to boredom or as a way to burn off energy.
Do Pomeranians Come Back If They Run Away
The majority of dogs that run away are reuintred with their families but, around 7% of run away dogs are not.
Pomeranians are smaller dogs that have less stamina that a larger hunting dog as well as being a breed that is very attached to their owners.
There is a good chance that you will get your Pomeranain back if you ar patient and don’t loose site of your dog.
Of course there are many dangers out there that could cause a tragedy making this situation very scary.
5 Reasons Why Pomeranians Run Away
- Seperation Anxiety
- Unfamiliar Surroundings
Why Pomeranians Run Away Due To Seperation Anxiety
Unfortnunately, Pomeranians are known for experiencing separation anxiety which can lead to undesirable behaviors like barking, pacing, destruction and running away.
If you are getting ready to leave and your anxious dog senses it, he or she may run away if they get the chance due to all of anxiety they are experiencing.
It may be there way of trying to find you or just a bunch of nervous energy being let loose.
Why Do Pomeranians Run Away In Fear
Many dogs have triggers like thunderstorms and fireworks that may cause them to bolt and run when they are scared.
Fear ignites a natural fight or flight response and often our dogs will choose to flee.
If this is your dog, speak with your vet about their fears and behaviors.
There may be some training, methods or medications that can help.
Why Do Pomeranians Run Due To Hormones
Any dog that is not spayed or neutered once it reaches hormonal maturity may run away as a way to find a mate.
Consider getting your fog neutered or spay as well as putting in safety procautions if your think your dog is vulnerable to this situation.
Why Do Pomeranians Run When They Are Frustrated
Your dog may simply be bored or have a lot of pent up energy and take off in a sprint as a way to burn off that energy.
Why Do Pomeranians Run Away In Unfamiliar Surroundings
If you are on vacation or away from home, you dog may be at a higher risk to run away.
The stress, sounds and smells of the unfamiliar place may cause your dog to run away in a response to curiosity, fear or excitement.
How Far Will A Pomeranian Run Away From Home
Small dogs naturally can not run as a far away as a large dog can.
On average a small dogs like a Pomeranian can only run up to a half mile away.
That said, they can still walk and wander after making their first get away.
How To Prevent Your Pomeranian From Running Away
- Make sure you dog gets enough exercise to burn off energy
- Provide enough mental stimulation with puzzles and play
- Give your dog different toys to play with when you are away from home
- Improve your dogs training and response to commands
- Consider taking your dog to doggy care
- Secure all of your doors and gates and any weak spot (recheck if a yard worker or anyone else comes to your home)
- Consider adding extra security with screens and fences
- Be aware of your dogs triggers and try to avoid them
- Don’t let your dog off its leash outdoors
- Avoid taking your dog to large crowds
- Provide a cozy and safe space in your home for when you dog gets stressed
- Put your dog in it’s crate or another room if there are a lot of people over
- Use a GPS tracker
Consider having your dog microchipped incase they happen to get away.
What To Do When Your Pomeranian Runs Away
- Try to stay calm
- Try to not let your dog get out of your sight
- Don’t chase your dog, they may think it is a game
- Always reward and never punish your dog when your get them back
Are Some Dog Breeds More Likely To Run Away
There are some dog breeds that are more prone to running away.
Many of these breeds have high energy levels and a strong hunting instinct.
12 Dog Breeds That Like To Run Away
- Jack Russel Terrier
- German Pointer
- Australian Shepherds
- Labrador Retrievers
- Blood Hound
- Siberian Husky
- Great Dane
- Cocker Spanials
- Bernese Mountain Dog
- German Shepherd
- Standard Poodle
- American Bulldog
It was a runaway Pomeranian that made such an impression on my husband that we now have three Pomeranians of our own.
One day on the way to work my husband saved a little Pomeranian that was weaving in between cars in traffic.
He brought that little Pomeranian back to his office to find its owner.
My Run Away Story
I’ve had a couple scary run away situations with my Pomeranians.
Once, I was walking out the door loading our camper with an armful of things.
My dogs have never shown interest in running our the door but, they did in the moment and I had to go after them as they explored a few of the neighbors yards as well as running across the street a couple of times.
The second time was after our lawn had been mowed and our gate wasn’t secure.
Our little female go out and went on a similar adventure but, this time she decided to jump in the pond behind out house.
We live in Florida and there are alligators that are regularly in that pond.
I went in and grabbed her quickly, luckily there wasn’t a an alligator around but, others have not been so lucky in this same situation.
Unfortunatly, it sometimes takes an escape and a scary situation to know where your weakness are.
Hopefully this article can prevent some of these situations from happening in the fututre.