So you want a Pomeranian Puppy! This is an exciting time for you, making sure you know where to look and what to look for when shopping for a Pomeranian puppy can make a big difference in how successful you are in buying your puppy.
Buying a Pomeranian puppy includes many important steps including making sure your breeder is a good choice and ensuring that the puppy you are getting is healthy by receiving a health certificate from a vet.
- Steps To Follow When Buying A Pomeranian Puppy
- Where Are You Going To Get Your Pomeranian Puppy
- Do You Want A Pet Or A Show Dog
- What To Look For When Buying A Pomeranian Puppy
- How To Make Sure Your Pomeranian Puppy Is Healthy
- Tips For Buying A Pomeranian Puppy
- Can You Buy A Pomeranian Puppy Online
- How To Choose A Pomeranian Puppy
- What Is The Normal Price For A Pomeranian
- Final Thoughts
- Other Articles You May Enjoy!
Steps To Follow When Buying A Pomeranian Puppy
- Where are you going to get your puppy
- Do you want a pet or a show dog
- Visit the breeder and the puppies if possible
- Make sure the breeder is legit
Where Are You Going To Get Your Pomeranian Puppy
There are many different options where you can find Pomeranian puppies from breeders, shelters, pet stores, and rescues.
It can be challenging to find a Pomeranian puppy at a shelter or even at a rescue leaving you with minimal options.
The majority of Pomeranian owners purchase their dogs from a breeder or a pet store.
I personally suggest avoiding pet stores as an option because they are usually overpriced and you have no idea how humane the living conditions and breeding programs are.
This can leave you with an overpriced dog that is unhealthy in some cases.
This leaves us with breeders as the best option for buying a Pomeranian puppy.
That said, not all breeders are the same, you need to do your homework on the breeder and make sure that they truly love Pomeranians and are not just breeding dogs for money.
Do You Want A Pet Or A Show Dog
If you are considering getting a Pomeranian you will probably already know if you are looking for a pet or a show dog.
Although, in many cases, both dogs will look the same or similar the prices are often very different from a breeder that is breeding show dogs in comparison to one breeding Pomeranians as pets.
What To Look For When Buying A Pomeranian Puppy
When you are on the hunt to add a new Pomeranian puppy to your family making sure you get a healthy puppy at a fair price is important.
Read How To Find A Pomeranian Breeder for more information.
How To Make Sure Your Pomeranian Puppy Is Healthy
Getting a healthy puppy is the most important thing you can do when buying a Pomeranian puppy.
With many unhealthy dogs and unethical breeding practices, how can we be sure our puppy is healthy.?
There are things you can do to help get a healthy puppy.
- Make sure your puppy is vet checked and get a health certificate
- Observe the puppies and breeding environment (go with your gut with any red flags)
- Make sure there aren’t too many puppies around (a Pomeranian only has 1 to 3 puppies at a time on average)
- Make sure the puppies are alert
- Make sure the puppies and area is clean
Tips For Buying A Pomeranian Puppy
- Visit the breeder
- Make sure the breeder only breeds Pomeranians
- Check to see if the breeder is registered with the AKC
- Ask to see the puppies’ parents
- Request pictures of the puppy
- Make sure your puppy has been vet checked and has a clean bill of health
Can You Buy A Pomeranian Puppy Online
You can buy a Pomeranian puppy online but, there is only one way that I would suggest doing it.
You can find breeders all over the country on AKC Marketplace if you do not have a breeder in your area.
You would need to travel to pick up your dog.
How To Choose A Pomeranian Puppy
Choosing a puppy is extremely exciting and can be a lot of fun.
Sometimes you are able to meet the puppies in person and interact with them, this is always the best option.
It enables you to see how the puppies act and sometimes a puppy will “pick you”.
Seeing your puppy before purchase isn’t always possible.
In this case, I would m
Make sure that the puppy looks healthy, and ask for pictures and a vet check.
We’ve selected our puppies in a variety of ways, we were able to play with the puppies and pick out our first puppy.
With our second puppy, we were on a waiting list with the original breeder and were able to pick between two available puppies when a litter was born.
The third puppy was a completely different situation. Our original breeder was no longer breeding puppies.
We found an AKC breeder listed on the AKC Marketplace, once the puppy was cleared from the vet to go to its forever home, my husband flew out of state to bring home our little Duke.
What Is The Normal Price For A Pomeranian
Pomeranians can range from $800 to $7000 depending on many factors with an average price around $3000.00.
When you are thinking and looking for a Pomeranian puppy it can sometimes be stress but exciting at the same time.
Always make sure that you are ready for a puppy and have the time and means to care for a dog as it should be.
Also, make sure to look into the breeders you are considering and make sure they are legit.