Pomeranians are known for their fluffy and expressive faces, but those adorable eyes can sometimes come with a common concern among small dog breeds: tear stains.
These reddish-brown streaks beneath your Pomeranian’s eyes can be a cosmetic issue that many pet owners seek to address.
In this article, we’ll explore a natural and gentle solution to tackle Pomeranian tear stains – the use of coconut oil.
Discover how this versatile and readily available ingredient can help restore your Pomeranian’s bright and sparkling eyes, while also promoting their overall eye health.”
Understanding Pomeranian Tear Stains
Tear stains are a common problem among Pomeranians and many other dog breeds. These stains appear as rusty-colored spots beneath the eyes of dogs, especially those with white or light-colored fur.
The stains are caused by excessive eye discharge (tears) that contain a high concentration of iron, which reacts with the air and forms the reddish-brown discoloration.
Out of our four Pomeranians our Cream Pomeranian Murphy gets the worst tear stains whereas the rest have a minimal if any appearance of tear stains.
Pomeranians are more prone to tear stains because of their small size and facial structure. Their eyes are more prominent, and the fur around the eyes is often white, making the stains more visible. Tear stains are not harmful to dogs, but they can be unsightly and cause discomfort if left untreated.
There are several factors that can contribute to tear stains in Pomeranians. These include:
- Genetics: Some dogs are more prone to tear stains due to their genetic makeup.
- Diet: Poor quality food or food with additives can cause tear stains.
- Allergies: Dogs with allergies may produce more tears, leading to tear stains.
- Eye infections: Infections can cause excessive tearing and lead to tear stains.
It is important to identify the underlying cause of tear stains in your Pomeranian to effectively treat and prevent them.
While there are many commercial tear stain removers available, some of them contain harsh chemicals that can be harmful to dogs. A natural and safe alternative is using coconut oil.
Coconut oil is a natural anti-fungal that can help prevent and resolve specific yeast and fungal infections that can cause tear stains. It also prevents moisture from soaking the hair around the eyes, which can exacerbate tear stains. By applying coconut oil to the affected area, you can safely and effectively reduce the appearance of tear stains on your Pomeranian.
Causes of Tear Stains
Tear stains are a common issue that many Pomeranian owners face. These rusty spots that appear under the dog’s eyes can be caused by a variety of factors, ranging from diet to health conditions.
In this section, we will explore the different causes of tear stains in Pomeranians.
Diet and Tear Stains
Diet plays a crucial role in your Pomeranian’s health, and it can also affect tear stains. A healthy diet that is rich in nutrients can help reduce tear stains. On the other hand, a diet that is high in carbohydrates and sugars can lead to excessive tearing and the development of tear stains. It is important to ensure that your Pomeranian is getting a balanced diet that meets all their nutritional needs.
Tear Stains and Health Conditions
Tear stains can also be a sign of an underlying health condition. Some medical conditions that can cause tear stains include allergies, bacterial or fungal infections, ear infections, and glaucoma. If your Pomeranian is experiencing excessive tearing or has other symptoms such as diarrhea, it is important to take them to a veterinarian to rule out any underlying health conditions.
Hygiene and Tear Stains
Poor hygiene can also contribute to the development of tear stains. If the area around your Pomeranian’s eyes is not kept clean, bacteria can grow and cause tear stains. Additionally, Pomeranians with shallow eye sockets are more prone to tear stains because their tears do not drain properly. Regularly cleaning your Pomeranian’s face and keeping their eyes free of discharge can help prevent tear stains.
Coconut Oil and Tear Stains
Coconut oil is a natural and cost-effective remedy that can be used to treat tear stains in Pomeranians. This versatile oil has numerous benefits for dogs, including reducing inflammation, improving digestion, and promoting healthy skin and coat.
In this section, we will discuss the benefits of coconut oil and the different types of coconut oil that can be used to treat tear stains in Pomeranians.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help to reduce tear stains in Pomeranians.
Additionally, coconut oil is a rich source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which can help to improve digestion and boost the immune system. MCTs are also easily absorbed by the body and can be converted into energy, making coconut oil a great addition to your dog’s diet.
Coconut oil can also be applied topically to your dog’s skin and coat to promote healthy skin and reduce inflammation. It can help to soothe dry, itchy skin and prevent hot spots and other skin irritations.
Regular use of coconut oil can also help to reduce shedding and improve the overall appearance of your dog’s coat.
Types of Coconut Oil
When it comes to using coconut oil for tear stains in Pomeranians, it is important to choose the right type of coconut oil.
Organic, unrefined coconut oil is the best option, as it is free from harmful chemicals and additives that can irritate your dog’s skin. Unrefined coconut oil is also rich in nutrients and has a pleasant coconut scent.
It is important to note that not all coconut oil is created equal. Some brands of coconut oil are refined, which means that they have been processed and stripped of their natural nutrients.
Refined coconut oil may also contain harmful chemicals and additives that can be harmful to your dog’s health. Always choose high-quality, organic, unrefined coconut oil for your Pomeranian.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Tear Stains
Here are a few steps on how to use coconut oil for tear stains:
- First, make sure that the area around your Pomeranian’s eyes is clean and dry. You can use warm water and a soft cloth to gently clean the area.
- Next, take a small amount of coconut oil and apply it to the stained fur. You can use your fingers or a soft cloth to apply the oil.
- Gently massage the coconut oil into the fur around your Pomeranian’s eyes. Be careful not to get any oil in your Pomeranian’s eyes.
- Repeat this process at least once a day until the tear stains disappear. You may need to continue using coconut oil for several days or even weeks to see results.
Coconut oil can also be used as a preventative measure to help reduce the likelihood of tear stains forming in the first place.
Regular grooming and hygiene practices can also help prevent tear stains from forming.
It’s important to note that coconut oil should not be used as a substitute for proper veterinary care. If your Pomeranian’s tear stains are severe or do not improve with coconut oil treatment, it’s important to consult with a veterinarian.
Other Remedies for Tear Stains
While coconut oil is an effective and natural remedy for Pomeranian tear stains, there are other remedies that pet owners can try. Here are some of the most popular remedies:
Some pet owners use hydrogen peroxide to clean their dog’s tear stains. However, this remedy should be used with caution, as it can be harsh on the skin and eyes. It is recommended to dilute the hydrogen peroxide with water before applying it to the tear stains. Always consult with a veterinarian before trying this remedy.
Antibacterial and Antifungal Products
Antibacterial and antifungal products, such as medicated wipes or shampoos, can help prevent and treat tear stains. These products work by killing the bacteria or fungi that cause tear stains. However, it is important to choose a product that is safe for dogs and to follow the instructions carefully.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a natural remedy that can help prevent and treat tear stains. It works by balancing the pH level of the skin and reducing the growth of bacteria. To use apple cider vinegar, mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar and apply it to the tear stains with a cotton ball. Avoid getting the solution in the dog’s eyes.
Milk of Magnesia
Milk of magnesia is another natural remedy that can help prevent and treat tear stains. It works by reducing the acidity in the dog’s tears. To use milk of magnesia, apply a small amount to the tear stains with a cotton ball. Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
Some pet owners prefer to use natural ingredients, such as chamomile tea or aloe vera gel, to prevent and treat tear stains. These ingredients are gentle on the skin and can help soothe irritation. However, it is important to ensure that the ingredients are safe for dogs and to test them on a small area before applying them to the tear stains.
Overall, there are many remedies available for Pomeranian tear stains. Pet owners should choose a remedy that is safe, effective, and appropriate for their dog’s needs. If the tear stains persist or worsen, it is important to consult with a veterinarian for further advice.
Precautions and Warnings
Coconut oil is generally safe for dogs, but as with any new product, it’s important to take precautions when using it to treat tear stains.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Always consult with a veterinarian before starting any new treatment, including the use of coconut oil. A vet can help determine if your dog’s tear stains are a sign of an underlying health condition that requires medical attention.
- Coconut oil is not a substitute for antibiotics or other prescription medications. If your dog has an eye infection or other health condition, follow your vet’s recommendations for treatment.
- The FDA has not evaluated coconut oil for use in dogs, so there is limited information available about its safety and effectiveness. Use caution when using coconut oil and monitor your dog for any adverse reactions.
- Some breeds, such as Pugs, Maltese, and white-coated breeds, are more prone to tear stains than others. If your dog is prone to tear stains, make sure to keep their face clean and dry, and consider using a tear stain remover in addition to coconut oil.
- Coconut oil may promote hair growth, so be careful when applying it near your dog’s eyes. Avoid getting it in their eyes, and use a small amount at a time.
- Always use a clean bowl when feeding your dog coconut oil or any other supplement. Dirty bowls can harbor bacteria that can lead to eye infections and other health problems.
- If your dog has an eye injury or is experiencing itching or discomfort around their eyes, do not use coconut oil or any other home remedy without first consulting with a veterinarian. In some cases, eye drops or distilled water may be necessary to soothe the eyes.
- Cornstarch is sometimes recommended as a natural tear stain remover, but it can be harmful if ingested. Make sure to keep cornstarch and other powders away from your dog’s face and eyes.
- Finally, if your dog is obese, it’s important to address their weight as a potential cause of tear stains. Excess weight can contribute to tear stains by putting pressure on the tear ducts. A veterinarian or ophthalmologist can help determine if weight loss is necessary to reduce tear stains.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of using coconut oil on a Pomeranian’s tear stains?
Coconut oil has natural antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce tear stains on Pomeranians. It can also help moisturize the skin around the eyes, reducing dryness and irritation.
Is coconut oil safe to use on a Pomeranian’s tear stains?
Yes, coconut oil is generally safe to use on a Pomeranian’s tear stains. However, it is important to make sure that your Pomeranian is not allergic to coconut oil before using it. You can do this by applying a small amount of coconut oil to your Pomeranian’s skin and monitoring for any signs of an allergic reaction.
How often should I apply coconut oil to my Pomeranian’s tear stains?
You can apply coconut oil to your Pomeranian’s tear stains once or twice a day. It is important to be consistent with the application in order to see results.
Are there any side effects of using coconut oil on a Pomeranian’s tear stains?
In general, there are no known side effects of using coconut oil on a Pomeranian’s tear stains. However, if your Pomeranian has sensitive skin, it is possible that the coconut oil could cause some irritation. If this occurs, stop using the coconut oil and consult with your veterinarian.
What are some other natural remedies for Pomeranian tear stains?
Some other natural remedies for Pomeranian tear stains include using chamomile tea, apple cider vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide. However, it is important to note that not all natural remedies work for all dogs, and some may be more effective than others depending on the cause of the tear stains.
Can I combine coconut oil with other remedies to treat my Pomeranian’s tear stains?
Yes, you can combine coconut oil with other remedies to treat your Pomeranian’s tear stains. However, it is important to talk to your veterinarian before using any new remedies on your Pomeranian, especially if they are already taking medication or have any underlying health conditions.