Just like humans, many dogs including Pomeranians can have allergies, what are the most common allergies in Pomeranians?
Pomeranians can have various allergies including those triggered by food, environmental toxins, and outdoor triggers like pollen, grass weeds, and bug bites.
- Can Pomeranians Have Allergies
- How Do I Know If My Pomeranian Has Allergies
- Signs That Your Pomeranian May Have Allergies
- How Does A Pomeranian Get Diagnosed With Allergies
- Are There Treatments For A Pomeranian With Allergies
- What Treatments Are Available For My Pomeranians Allergies
- At-Home Tips For Pomeranian Allergies
- Can My Pomeranians Allergies Be Cured
- How Long Does It Take To Cure A Pomeranians Allergies
- What Can I Feed My Pomeranian With Allergies
- Are Pomeranians Allergic To Milk
- Final Thoughts
- Other Articles You May Enjoy!
Can Pomeranians Have Allergies
Pomeranians can have allergies.
There are four main types of allergies that Pomeranians can develop food allergies, environmental allergies, contact allergies, and severe reactions to bee stings.
Food Allergies In Pomeranians
Toy breeds like Pomeranians are especially vulnerable to developing food allergies.
The name is a bit misleading because it often isn’t the food that the dog is allergic to but, the additives in the food like artificial coloring, preservatives, and flavorings.
Environmental Allergies In Pomeranians
Many dogs including Pomeranians can be allergic to elements found in our environments like pollen, grass, weeds, dust mites, cleaning chemicals, and fumes within the home.
Contact Allergies In Pomeranians
A contact allergy occurs with a Pomeranian has a negative reaction to something found outside its body like shampoo, carpet cleaner, and detergents.
Contact allergies can also occur with materials that things are made of like latex.
Bee Sting Allergies In Pomeranians
Just like with humans some dogs including Pomeranians can have severe relations to bees, wasps, hornets, fire ant stings as well as other bites including spiders.
These reactions can vary as well from simple inflamed bites to life-threatening anaphylactic reactions.
How Do I Know If My Pomeranian Has Allergies
In most cases, you will not know immediately that your Pomeranian has allergies.
There are signs that you may notice that are often found in Pomeranians with allergies.
If you notice anything that is questionable it’s best to speak with your vet about your dog’s condition.
Signs That Your Pomeranian May Have Allergies
- Irritated Skin
- Breathing Issues
- Hair Loss
- Nasal Discharge
- Red/Watery Eyes
- Upset Stomach
- Changes In Bowel Movements
How Does A Pomeranian Get Diagnosed With Allergies
If you suspect that your dog may have allergies your vet can do a couple of types of tests to confirm if you are correct.
In many cases, your vet will do a blood test or a skin allergy test.
Unfortunately, the skin allergy test is often done while your dog is under mild sedation.
Are There Treatments For A Pomeranian With Allergies
Luckily there are many different treatment options available for your Pomeranains allergies including avoiding the allergy trigger to prescription medications.
What Treatments Are Available For My Pomeranians Allergies
Your veterinarian may prescribe your dog various allergy treatments.
- Topical Treatments
- Eye Drops
- Allergy Injections
At-Home Tips For Pomeranian Allergies
- Watch for skin irritations
- Use gentle oatmeal, coconut, and aloe-based shampoos and conditioners
- Use non-toxic cleaners in your home
- Be cautious of using perfumes and room sprays
- Wipe and rinse your dog’s paws when they come back indoors
- Wipe down your dogs coat when you come indoors
- Take off your shoes when you enter the house
- Talk to your vet about giving your dog Omega supplements
- Time your outdoor time and be aware of high pollen days
- Keep your windows closed
- Vacuum often
- Be aware of any lawn chemicals that are being used
- Take notice if your dog is sensitive to any materials like plastic and latex
Can My Pomeranians Allergies Be Cured
Just like with people we often can force a cure for allergies but, treat the symptoms.
In some cases, allergies will “magically” go away on their own.
How Long Does It Take To Cure A Pomeranians Allergies
You can’t cure your dog’s allergies but, they can be treated.
With treatment and lifestyle adjustments you can often see noticeable changes within days and weeks.
Learning the best way to treat your dog’s allergies can have a huge impact on your dog’s quality of life.
What Can I Feed My Pomeranian With Allergies
If your dog has allergies it’s best to consult with your vet regarding your dog’s food and care.
Newtown Veterinary Specialists have written an article that includes suggestions for dog foods for dogs with food allergies if you would like to take a look.
Are Pomeranians Allergic To Milk
Pomeranains and all dogs can be allergic to the lactose found in milk and other dairy products like yogurt.
Autumn Trails Vet has written an article about the 6 most common food allergens in dogs with dairy and milk being number 2 on this list.
It can be scary and upsetting if your dog starts to suffer an allergy.
Some allergies can be very minor while others can be serious and life-threatening.
Sever relations need to receive immediate care, if your dog isn’t suffering a severe reaction still make sure to document it with pictures and video to share with your vet.
Most allergies can not be cured with a lifestyle and a treatment plan can be developed to increase your dog’s quality of life.